Police have charged a second suspect in the murder of an Illinois judge shot outside his home on Chicago’s South Side earlier this month in what they believe was a robbery, officials said on Thursday.
Earl Wilson was charged with the murder of Raymond Myles, who was killed early on April 10, according to a tweet from Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.
Police believe he was the gunman but no other details were immediately available, Guglielmi said. A news conference was scheduled for later on Thursday.
Myles, 66, was an associate judge in Cook County Circuit Court’s Criminal Division. Cook County includes Chicago, the third-largest U.S. city.
Earlier this month, police also charged Joshua Smith, 37, with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm and armed robbery in connection with the shooting, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office said.
Police believe Smith was the getaway driver, department spokesman Frank Giancamilli said. A woman was also injured in the shooting.
The incident started when a woman exited Myles’ home and encountered a man with a gun at around 5 a.m., police have said.
Words were exchanged and the man then fired, hitting the woman once. Hearing the gunshots, Myles came out of the house and was shot multiple times.
(Additional reporting by Tim Mclaughlin in Chicago; Editing by Matthew Lewis)