North Korea has launched another missile from its east coast, South Korean military officials said on Monday, the third test-firing of a rocket this month.
The South’s Joint Chiefs of Staff in a statement said the rocket was launched from the east coast town of Wonsan, but didn’t identify the type of missile or whether it was successful.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in called for a meeting of the nation’s security council, according to the statement.
Japan protested the firing of the missile that appears to have landed in the Sea of Japan.
“Japan absolutely cannot tolerate North Korea’s repeated provocative actions,” said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga. “We have strongly protested to North Korea and condemn its actions in the strongest terms.”
North Korean President Kim Jong-un’s reclusive regime has been experimenting with launching platforms and rocket fuel as it tries to develop a missile system with enough range to strike the US mainland in the face of what it calls President Trump’s aggressive policies.
In addition to the missile tests, North Korea carried out two nuclear tests last year.
The Trump administration has moved a Navy strike group led by the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson to the waters off the Korean peninsula as tensions mount in the region and has enlisted China to put pressure on its neighbor.
Defense Secretary James Mattis, during an appearance on CBS’ “Face the Nation” Sunday, said war with North Korea would be “catastrophic.”
“The North Korean regime has hundreds of artillery cannons and rocket launchers within range of one of the most densely populated cities on earth, which is the capital of South Korea,” he said of Seoul. “But the bottom line is it would be a catastrophic war if this turns into a combat if we’re not able to resolve this situation through diplomatic means.”
With Post Wires